Davorin Medaković, picture taken from the website.
Davorin Medaković is a NEWFELPRO researcher who implemented his project „Mollusk larval shell ultrastructure and proteomics: integrating analytical tools (MARSUPIAL)“ at the Universite de Bourgogne (France) and Ruđer Bošković Institute, Center for Marine Research Rovinj (Croatia). Davorin Medaković has several research interests: evolutionary, population and environmental biology, environmental and marine biology, ecology, cell differentiation, physiology and dynamics, developmental genetics – embryology in animals. During his carrier as a researcher and scientist he had research visits at: Biologische Anstalt Helgoland Germany, Univ. de Bretagne Occidentale, UMR CNRS 6539 Brest, France, McMurdo Station US, Antarctica. NSF US, and ASA project BO-301, Istituto per la Corrosione Marine dei Metalli, CNR, Genova, Italy.
The aim of his NEWFELPRO project was to explore and describe the fabrication of the shell during the larval development, in selected marine and terrestrial mollusks. To this aim, two approaches are used: ultrastructural and molecular. For the first, larval shells is analyzed according to sophisticated analytical techniques including Infra-Red and Raman spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, scanning and transmission electron microscopy. The molecular aspects are tackled, by using proteomics and immunohistological techniques, in order to identify the protein assemblage required for early shell mineralization. Particular attention is paid to enzymatic markers. Besides a deepened understanding of the larval shell formation process, this project provides a platform for using molecular markers to study the impact of environmental changes (e.g. Ocean Acidification) on shell biomineralization.
Results of his NEWFELPRO project can be find in:
- Marin, Frédéric, Irina Bundeleva, Takeshi Takeuchi, Françoise Immel, and Davorin Medakovic. "Organic matrices in metazoan calcium carbonate skeletons: Composition, functions, evolution." Journal of structural biology 196, no. 2 (2016): 98-106.
- Marin, Frédéric, Irina Bundeleva, Takeshi Takeuchi, A. Chmiel and Davorin Medakovic. „Skeletal organic matrice sin molluscs: origin, evolution, diagenesis. Proceedings of the fourteenth International Symposium on Biomineralization“ – submitted
- Marin, Frédéric, Davorin Medakovic, and Franz Brümmer. "Biomineralix (COST Action TD0903), 2009-2014: An Overview." Key Engineering Materials 672 (2016)
- Medaković, Davorin, Tadej Dolenec, Danijel Karlović, Petra Vrhovnik, Nastja Rogan Šmuc, Sanda Rončević, Lovorka Pitarević-Svedružić, and Matej Dolenec. "Trace metals in fish biominerals as environmental indicators: handheld XRF analyses." In Key Engineering Materials, vol. 672, pp. 328-339. Trans Tech Publications, 2015.
- Šiller, Lidija, Sunthon Piticharoenphun, Marie Louise Lemloh, Benjamin R. Horrocks, Burkhard Kaulich, Alessandra Gianoncelli, Michael RC Hunt, Franz Brümmer, and Davorin Medaković. "Sulphur-containing compounds as a response in sea urchins exposed to alkylated silicon nanocrystals and SiO2-coated iron oxide nanoparticles." In Key Engineering Materials, vol. 672, pp. 312-327. Trans Tech Publications, 2015.
- Tonejc, Anđelka, Davorin Medaković, Stanko Popović, and Andrej Jaklin. "Structural Studies of Biomineralization in the Sea Hare Aplysia Punctata by Electron Microscopy and Diffraction." In 3rd Croatian Microscopy Congres with International Participation. 2015.
Also, he presented his work on following events:
- 5th Slovenian Veterinary Congress, 2015, Portorož, November 14-15, 2014. Gjurčević E., Bambir S, Vučinić S., Kužir S., Beck a., Severin K., Medaković D., Stanin D., „Skeletal system deformities in cultured common carp“
- 3rd Croatian Microscopy congress with international participation, Zadar, Croatia, April, 26-29, 2015. Tonejc A., Medaković D., Popović S., Jaklin A. Structural studies of biomineralization in the seahare Aplysia punctata by electron microscopy and diddraction. Poster, international intervju, published scientific paper in proceedings.
- Projecthaus NanoBioMater, Summe school2015, Bad Herrenalb, Germany, June 22-24,2015.
- Biomin XIII, 13th International Symposium on Biomineralization, Granada, Spain, September, 16-19,2015.
- 12th Croatian Biological Congress with international participation, Sveti Martin, Croatia, September, 18-23,2015.
- 25th Slovenian-Croatian Chrystallographic meeting, Ljubljana, Slovenia, June 14-18,2017.
- 14th International Symposium on Biomineralization (BIOMIN XIV), Tsukuba, Japan, October 9-13,2017.